Friday, May 10, 2013

A SPECIAL MOTHER'S DAY



A SPECIAL MOTHER'S DAY


With another Mother’s Day approaching I can only feel blessed that my mom is still alive and still able to know who I am. For me each day begins with phoning her, because I am a long distance caregiver. I look forward to hearing on a good day the tenderness of her voice. Just the other day I asked  if she wanted to speak to me. Her sweet reply was, of course she wanted to speak to me, “ for I am her daughter and she loves me very much.” As she shared these sentiments with me, it brought such warmth to my heart and filled my eyes with tears.

My relationship with my mom was not always like this. It wasn’t until mom became ill with
Alzheimer’s that I felt such a deep unconditional love for her. Somehow my love for her was transformed. I wonder what had changed, was it me, was it mom or perhaps both of us?

Why did it take her getting sick for me to fall in love with her, and to be able to cherish every word  that she speaks to me? I realize that this no longer makes any difference and all that matters to me is that I choose to celebrate my mom, her life and who she is. I am grateful for what we are still able to share, and do not hold on to what has vanished from her life.

The person my mother has become has opened for me a world filled with love and compassion. My mom who, is eighty-eight years old and stands less than five feet tall, has taught me another lesson in life. Lessons that as a teenager or young adult I was not able to totally understand. She has taught me the true meaning of loving a mother. She has inspired me to see the world from a different place and has opened my eyes to embrace a deeper sense of gratitude.

Her strength and courage continue to inspire me each and every day for the last eight years. Today, and all year long, I will be celebrating Mother’s Day. I know deep in my heart  how  my mother has become my hero. No matter what day it is, Mother’s Day or not, I will honor and cherish her and our loving relationship.

I would also like to honor all of the other mother's and wish them a happy Mother's Day.



For every daughter and her mother My Mom My Hero is a book dedicated to the all the special people in our lives. A book that you will cherish. A story of love and relationships. The reviews say "A must read." Available on Amazon & Kindle worldwide.

6 comments:

  1. I too cherish and love my mother and best friend everyday. I look at her and it kills me to see the once strong, articulate, soft spoken woman in this condition. Like you Lisa, she continues to teach me life lessons, amazing me everyday. Mom can still sense when I'm having a tough time, still able to console me. Although she has Alzheimer's she is still human and understands, something caretakers need to be aware of. I cherish every minute I still have with my mom and best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in my heart that our mother's will know us to the very end, our touch,our scent,our voice.That's why they are our mothers.I so agree that although there is no memory, they have feelings.I love how you love your mother.

      Delete
  2. Really very touching sentiments My Sister was Diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago @ age 63 1/2 now 67 & struggling very badly. I enjoyed reading this little piece of this story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your sister. She's so young.She and you are in my prayers and heart.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, Thank you for your lovely book. I just finished it. I have cared for people with Alzheimer's for many years. Your connection with your Mom is special. You seem to have an innate skill to approach your Mom in a very therapeutic manner. I am certain your blog will be helpful to many caregivers. Thank you! Carol























    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I am so happy that you "enjoyed" my book. I know that is a funny word to use yet knowing that others so relate to what I write is why I do what I do. It means so much to me. Lisa

      Delete