Thursday, April 16, 2015

THE SOUND OF MUSIC


THE SOUND OF MUSIC

A few weeks ago was the celebration of two holidays-Passover and Easter. My mom has no idea which holiday she once celebrated. She also gets confused with who I am. I can be her wife, her mother, her friend or her daughter. Fortunately I am able to smile and not allow this to upset me for in my heart, I know that whoever I am to her they are all very special people.

The one thing I do struggle with is realizing all the beautiful things in life that mom can no longer enjoy. It's the simple things like feeling the warmth of the sun or the beautiful bright blue skies after a few cloudy rainy days.

I must confess that my heart is sad when I think of all the things mom use to love to do and can no longer appreciate. She used to treasure reading books and going to the theatre. She loved to go to the movies, or visit a museum. She loved to travel or just take a walk on the beach. In her universe these pleasures no longer exist.

Yes, mom does not know the difference; yet I do. She is "locked" within the walls of the nursing home in a world that she is now entrapped in. I question and wonder if this is what being alive is about. Alzheimer's quickly crept into her soul and removed almost all of her life experiences. She is no longer aware of what she is missing; but I am.

Luckily there is an enjoyment left and that is the "sound of music".  I have
personally witnessed this with my mom and others who have dementia. Music brings a wakening and joy to their hearts. You can see this in their faces as they suddenly become more alive.

After returning home today from spending a glorious sun filled day outside, I once again had visions of my mom roaming the halls of the facility she now lives in. My mind traveled back to the thought of her not knowing anything that was going on in the world she once knew. I can only hope that somehow, someway, she is at least still hearing and enjoying the "sounds of music".


 MY MOM MY HERO - A mother & daughters new found love.http://www.amazon.com/Mom-Hero-Alzheimers--daughters-bittersweet/dp/0615773982/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400860930&sr=1-1&keywords=lisa+hirsch
 

4 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely and thoughtful post, I think your Mum would be very proud of you, if she understood how you think and feel. It is wonderful too, that music brings her and others in that situation, happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Redanne for sharing with me your lovely supportive thoughts. Hugs, Lisa

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa
    My Mom loved music also. It was the one thing that she remembered the words too. Boy I miss her singing, we had a wonderful last Christmas Eve that she was alive, listening to the Canadian Tenors singing and her singing along to the Christmas Carols. I will always treasure that memory. Enjoy your Mom's voice whether in song or conversation because it is very silent when we no longer hear their voices. Hugs Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I am so fortunate that I was able to get some great videos of mom when I spent a month with her this. She sings and shares some of her "thoughts". I will treasure them forever. Just remember the lovely times you spent with your mom and I'm sure it will put a smile on your face.Lisa

      Delete