Monday, July 10, 2017

MY BIRTHDAY WISHES



 
  MY BIRTHDAY WISHES

I will be celebrating my birthday on Wednesday July 12th and I, who never made a big deal about this day, now feel differently. I find it sad that the woman who gave birth to me has no memory of this day, or in fact, any other day. Mom for the last fourteen years has been suffering from Alzheimer's.

The sorrowful part is that each year as I get older I loose a little bit more of her. Having a child of my own I cannot imagine that I might one day not remember bringing him into the world; or perhaps that I even had a child.  How could a disease like this invade one's mind and destroy a life that once was? This thought sends shock waves and chills through my entire body.

Alzheimer's is a rotten disease yet mom has been one of the more "fortunate" ones. The disease has not left her agitated and she seems to have opened her heart to more love. It is I, who feels the effects of the disease.

In mom's mind she still remembers me (and my brother) as a young child. Her mind has traveled back in time to thinking she still lives with her parents. A place and time for her that she once felt safe, loved and secure. Everything else has pretty much disappeared, so how could she in her mind now have a daughter all grown up? It's almost as if time has stood still.

Forgetting my birthday is the easy part, it's when I think about how she now lives and all the things she can no longer do, that I get upset. The simple things like getting out of bed each morning, feeding herself, getting dressed, combing her hair or brushing her teeth. These are things she no longer can do, yet I do them each morning maybe taking "life" for granted.

Mom does not realize how different her life has become because she has no memory of what her life once was. For her this is a "blessing", and for me it is being able to "accept" how things now are.

So mom, whether you can remember holding me in your arms as I took my first breath or tying my shoes as the laces came undone; this no longer matters. As long as you are not in pain and seem to be "relatively" content then I guess for now, as I blow out my birthday candles, there is not too much more that I could wish for.

I love you mom and will always be grateful that you are the mom who for many years put candles in my cakes; and as the years went by, you watched me grow up into a young lady, get married and have a child of my own.
I cannot thank my parents enough for bringing me into this world and for all the love that they gave me. I know that if mom could find the words she would surely wish me a Happy Birthday and share with me how very much she loves me. If only she could remember.

Other blog postings My Mom My hero can also be found

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-hirsch/

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your memories. We know that they may not last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a terrible disease. I take so many pictures of mom with the kids and grandkids so that as her memories fade more and more, I'll have scrapbooks to bring out and let her see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, what a wonderful thing to do. I hope that you are also taking some videos for as your mom progresses & your grandkids get older you can share them. I cherish my videos with my mom. I have shared some of them on my My Mom My Hero FB page and others I keep dear to my heart. Pictures for me with mom has not worked in many years since mom has Macular Degeneration and could never see them. Thank you for reaching out.

      Delete