Monday, February 19, 2018

HOLDING HANDS






 My New Book "Letter To My Mom , My Hero" available on Amazon worldwide.
 USA link    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lisa+hirsch&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alisa+hirsch 

HOLDING HANDS



I have read that physical touch is one of five ways people communicate and receive emotional love. It is also stated just reaching out and taking someone's hand can be the beginning of a journey. For me holding hands is the most tender moment that my mother and I can share .

As our fingers are intertwined like never before, as we hold each other's hands, it feels to me as if I never want to let go. It was at this very moment that I became aware of how meaningful human touch is with my mother. Mom's fingers spoke words to me. They told me how much she loved me as I felt her warmth and tenderness like never before.

Every once in a while she opens her eyes, looks at me, squeezes my hand and smiles. How I yearn to know what she is thinking, although on this day most of her words remained silent. Suffering for fourteen years, Alzheimer's disease has been removing her use of language.

On this day as I played some of mom's favorite music she held my hand tightly as to let me know how beautiful the music was. Heaven's doors seemed to open as we listened to Susan Boyles sing "I Dreamed A Dream", Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and Barbra Streisand's "People".

We held each other's hands for hours as if we were young lovers. Yet this was different it was my mother that I was touching. We needed no words, just holding hands said it all. We both held on so tenderly as if never wanting to let go. Each day hereafter I hunger for my mother's touch, meaning more to me than I can ever imagine.

I reside in New York while mom lives in Florida. Not only will I miss her deeply I very much will miss the caressing of our hands. I will miss her touch, her warmth her tenderness which fills my heart with joy.

What does the human touch mean to you? Is it feeling the warmth and caring of another human being? Or is it perhaps feeling loved? Is it embracing another person?

Whatever it means to you, for me, it is an intimacy so different than one that I could have ever dreamed I would be able to share with my mother. It is for me a love that has come full circle and now is complete.



MY MOM MY HERO - A mother & daughters new found love. http://www.amazon.com/Mom-Hero-Alzheimers--daughters-bittersweet/dp/0615773982/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454248406&sr=8-1&keywords=lisa+hirsch

6 comments:

  1. Lsa, so lovely. Music is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words always express so beautifully what I also experience in my journey with my mom. Thank you. Hugs. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I feel as if I could have written this post. With my Mom's advancing Alz she doesn't speak much either. I usually spend my time with her holding her hand and listening to Elvis (he was her all time favorite) These are the moments to cherish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy I am s sorry that we are on similar journey's yet I also know that we truly understand.....Sending hugs to you & your mom. Lisa

      Delete