Monday, July 4, 2011

THE WORLD OF ART- Picasso,Van Gogh & Warhol





THE WORLD OF ART-Picasso,Van Gogh & Warhol



 Its funny how while I’m up and about doing something, that it sometimes can spark off such vivid memories. They seem to be memories of times that I once shared with my mom.  Today it was almost 100 degrees outside so my husband I decided to go to the Museum of Modern Art, better known as the MOMA. The museum was enlarged several years ago and the paintings that hang on the walls are breathtaking.  It is a summer’s day and the museum is quite crowded, mostly with tourists, for most New Yorkers like to leave the city on  summer weekends.



 While I was wandering through the museum a thought came to me about my mom.  I remembered meeting my parents after work and waiting on line with them at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the King Tut exhibit.  My mom had gotten tickets for us in advance. During this time I was already working in the fashion industry in New York and sharing an apartment with a friend of mine.  I was in my mid twenties at this time.   After work I went to the museum to meet my parents.  My memories flashed on how many museums I use to go to with my parents, and how my mom just loved seeing all the masterpieces that hung on the museums walls.  My dad was actually a very good artist.  He did it as a hobby, mostly painting in oil, so I’m sure he also enjoyed his visits to the museums.  



My mom had lots of energy to walk through all the floors, and it didn’t matter how tired any of us were getting she seemed to continue on with much joy and excitement.  Sadness over came me after I flashed on my mom and how much she loved going to the museums.  I know when I speak to her tomorrow on the phone I will want to share this with her and I know that this is no longer part of her world.  Wow, how life changes.



The next day I call my mom and what a great day to speak to my mom.  Ruthie was very aware and when I shared with her that I went to the Museum of Modern Art yesterday, she actually asked me where the museum was located and what exhibits were at the museum.  I told her Matisse was the special exhibit and about all the other avant garde artists, the photography and the wonderful permanent exhibits that are always at the MOMA.  These exhibits included Picasso, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollack, Andy Warhol, and Roy Lichtenstein, just to name a few.  I then mentioned how I thought of her yesterday and of all the museums she had taken me to as a child.  I reminded her also of the exhibit of King Tut that she had taken me to.  With a joyful voice she giggled and said I don’t remember it was so long ago, and I replied how special these times that we shared together were.   I will try to remember for both of us (which is not always easy to do).

No comments:

Post a Comment