Wednesday, October 19, 2011

MY MOM THE LIFEGUARD





RUTHIE THE LIFEGUARD (Day 3)



It’s 7AM in the morning and today I leave to go back home with Logan after visiting mom for three days.  Today will be a rather long day for my brother will not arrive to around 4PM when we will depart for the airport.  We have no car and even if we did my mom does not want to go out, and when she does she only wants to go back home.  We’ve tried  to convince her to take walks and although I must agree that it’s rather hot outside she does not want to do this either.

Will she take advantage of the adult center that we just took her to?  We tried this before and she refused to go.  Would this help to motivate and stimulate her?  Mom says that the people are too old and she does not like the games they play.   Now how is that for calling the kettle black?  Ruthie is certainly no spring chickadee. 



Logan and I were able to get mom out.  We all walked to her swimming pool, and the reason I was able to convince her to come out, was that I told her we had to be the lifeguard for Logan as he swam.  I asked mom if she would jump in to save him if he needed it. Mom answered “that she would not because she would be the first to drown.”  We all had a good laugh as we continued to drag Ruthie to the swimming pool.



My understanding about Alzheimer’s is that every individual who has gets it acts differently.  My mom may refuse to do anything and stay locked up in her home, yet I am so grateful that she still has enough good moments, a sense of humor, wisdom and a quick thinking mind.   She’s great with spelling and counting, although she has no memory left at all.  I must correct myself, because my mom still knows who I am, which I hold onto and treasure every second of.  She also can still manage, or should I say survive, in her own home, although she is not capable of doing much.  She is sweet, not angry or bitter and greets most everyone with a smile on her face and enthusiasm in her voice. 



So all in all given that my mom has Alzheimer’s (which I cannot make disappear) her health issues are minute.  Are we blessed given the situation?  Some people may say no, and I have to say yes.  My mom is happy and in no pain and while she can still laugh, speak, eat and be more aware than not, my cup will remain half full, and I will continue to cherish all that we still have, and not what we do not have.



Bye, bye Florida and hello to New York, until my next trip, which will be in the beginning of December.



BACK HOME –Oct 2011


Saturday morning when I called my mom not sure what she might sound like, would she be upset, sound down or lonely?  Not Ruthie.  Mom sounded like she was walking on water.  She was upbeat, alive and quite energetic.  I told my mom how much I loved her and that I’ll be back to see her in eight weeks with my husband.  Mom said “how wonderful, but why so long?” “Mom I just saw you two days ago with my son Logan”.  Mom answered, “You did? I do not remember any of it”.  That’s okay mom, you still remember me, and for the moment that’s all that matters.

2 comments:

  1. hello iam sorry u have to go though that , i been there for a while , my mom is almost at the last stage of her alzheimer she has been dilnos sense 2003. when i use to call her on the phone ,she would tell me the same things over an over again thats when we new .now when i go an visit her she calls me a nice lady that walks with her, she has no idea who i am i can tell her who iam an she just looks at me an say oh,it was hard at first but i no there isnt any thing do just love her , i walk in missouri every yr thanks for the story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My blog has some uplifting and
    both humorous postings about my mom that you might also enjoy reading.
    Are you in a support group at your local chapter in Missouri?
    I recently joined one and I find it so helpful to be with other
    children of Alzheimer patients. WE understand the pain and emotions.
    You might like to look into that. They are very supportive to each
    other. Please feel free to stay in touch.
    Hugs to you & mom.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete