Monday, May 9, 2011

Brother Gil, Mom & Me



BROTHER GIL, MOM AND ME
The next time I saw my mom and my brother he had just returned from living in Mexico.  I had spoken to him every several weeks while he was away.  Logan and I went to visit my mom in January and found her once spotless, meticulous home a dirty mess.   Her bathrooms and kitchen were pretty disgusting.  There was dirt and grease all over the kitchen cabinets and you could not even see yourself in her bathroom mirrors.  Her bedroom had a strong smell of being musty and I felt like her belongings had mildew all over them.

 I was suppose to sleep alongside mom in her bed, and I would not.  Instead I shared a bed with my 21 year old son.  May I ask, how weird is that?   I just could not bare to sleep in the same room with my mom, where at one time, I would have never have thought differently.
My brother, Logan and I sat her down to speak to her about her needing and getting her someone to help her.  Her feisty strong self said no, and we all kept after her till she finally gave in.  My brother got someone to come in, for a few hours, a couple of days a week. That helped a little.  As time went on my brother met Elaine who has become my mom’s caregiver. Elaine is just fabulous. She comes six days a week for 4 hours a day.  

We wish that we had more funds so we could have Elaine be with mom, for more hours each day.   As for now this seems to be okay.   We do realize that as her condition worsens we will have to make other arrangements.  My mom is absolutely amazing to me.   Her strength and courage is so inspiring.

Yesterday we celebrated Mother’s Day, and for me although, I could not be with my mom, when I called her I expressed to her how deeply I love her, and that I celebrate who she is each and every day.
FACT- 5.4 Million Americans are living with Alzheimer's Disease. Alzheimer's is a worldwide diseaes effecting every country.

No comments:

Post a Comment