Friday, May 13, 2011

Gratitude




GRATITUDE
I share with my mom when I’m feeling excited, sad, upset and even frustrated.  I like to hear what she has to say and I guess that’s the “little girl” in me that wants her mom to celebrate my joys, and sympathize with something that might be bothering me.  Sometimes I feel sad, that when I share something wonderful with her she will not really remember it.  Sharing any of my joy with her, especially Logan’s accomplishments is very temporary for her, and still I am so thankful that I can still have any part of my mom.  You might say that I’m filled with much gratitude for what we still have.

My mom is still feisty and although she seems to be bored, she does sound almost each and every day happy.   She is still a wonderful speller and I like to challenge her to spell to help stimulate her mind.  Mom chooses not to leave her home and when she does go out she only wants to return home immediately.   Elaine her caregiver takes wonderful care of her and makes sure that she eats, takes a shower, brushes her teeth and wears clean clothes. 

Yesterday I told my mom what I was doing for the day, and Ruthie asked me once again, like she does so frequently now, if I would then come over and visit.  I tell mom that I cannot because I live far away. (I know I blogged about this in yesterday’s blog. I don’t write the script, my mom does.)  Mom answers this time by saying, “I understand”.  I actually think that she might really be remembering this.  Or maybe she is just saying it.  It doesn’t really matter as long as she still remembers me.  They call it gratitude!

1 comment:

  1. When I leave the nursing home, Mom always says, "I wish you could stay later." and I reply,, "I would, but I have to get back to work." "I know" she replies. It's easier saying that than I need to do laundry, or grow grocery shopping or see my husband. If I stick with the same script, it work as good as her lifestyle sticking to the same routine. I think that's what you and your Mom have, a scripted conversation daily.

    ReplyDelete